My main research interest lies in Natural Language Processing. Specifically, I am interested in language modeling (and finding out why it works, especailly in the multilingual case), weak supervision methods, and named entity recognition.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science and Engineering, from 2020.10
- University of California, San Diego
- Advisor Prof. Jingbo Shang
- B.S. in Computer Science, from 2016.8 to 2020.5
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Advisor: Prof. Jiawei Han
- University of Pennsylvania, 2019.5 - 2019.8
- Low-resource, cross-lingual named entity recognition (NER).
- Research Assistant. Advisor: Prof. Dan Roth
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2018.12 - 2019.5
- Turning unstructured text data into structured knowledge and insights.
- Research Assistant. Advisor: Prof. Jiawei Han
* indicates equal contribution.
- X-Class: Text Classification with Extremely Weak Supervision.
Zihan Wang, Dheeraj Mekala, Jingbo Shang.
arXiv preprint arXiv:2010.12794, 2020. PDF Github
- Extending Multilingual BERT to Low-Resource Languages.
Zihan Wang*, Karthikeyan K*, Stephen Mayhew, Dan Roth.
EMNLP Findings 2020. PDF Github (tentative, to be moved to CCG)
Presentation made at University of Colorado
- Cross-Lingual Ability of Multilingual BERT: An Empirical Study.
Karthikeyan K*, Zihan Wang*, Stephen Mayhew, Dan Roth.
ICLR 2020. PDF Github Blog
- CrossWeigh: Training Named Entity Tagger from Imperfect Annotations.
Zihan Wang*, Jingbo Shang*, Liyuan Liu*, Lihao Lu, Jiacheng Liu, and Jiawei Han.
EMNLP 2019. PDF Github Blog
- UCSD Halıcıoğlu Data Science Fellowship (2020-2023)
- UCSD Jacob School of Engineering Fellowship (2020-2021)
- World Champion, IEEE Xtreme 13.0 (2019)
- ICPC Mid-Central Regional, and qualification to world finals (2019)
- UIUC Jeffry P. Blahut Memorial Scholarship (2018)
Leadership & Teaching
- Co-Coach for UCSD ICPC club (2020-Present),
- coach and teach students for algorithmic programming contests.
- Officer for UIUC ICPC club (2018-2020)
- designed problem sets for algorithmic programming contests and presented lectures to club members
- Chair for UIUC SIGMobile (2017-2018)
- led a student-run club for mobile development.
- Course Assistant for UIUC CS 126 (2017)
- held office hours to answer questions from undergrad students.